Bohemian Rhapsody

All photos from The New Eighteenth-Century Style Book

The other day I was looking through some of my decorating books and had forgotten what a great inspiration "The New Eighteenth-Century Style: Rediscovering a French Décor" by Michele Lalande is. This is a must-have for anyone that loves an eclectic mix from different periods. "In modern usage, the term "Bohemian" (sometimes shortened to "boho") is applied to people who live unconventional, artistic lives." I think the Bohemian lifestyle is captured in this treasure of a book. From old weathered books and amateur portraits to modern lucite furniture and sculptures, these objets are mixed together in vignettes that work beautifully.
A home should be unique, interesting and reflect your own style. We've seen trends from Shabby Chic, Hollywood Glam, Hollywood Regency and many more. Trends come and go but the classics always remain. Chic Modern Minimalism appeals to many but my own personal style is a mix of different periods. I never wanted anyone to walk in my home and feel like they're on a stage set or stepped back into a specific decade. If you buy classic pieces from any decade they will never go out of style.


I just acquired two industrial metal dressers offered on my website. This book shows a photo of the same dresser with old artifacts and coral in an off-beat Bohemian way. Fabulous! No decorating rules or "how to" instructions, just find items you love and pair them together for a true Bohemian magic and eclectic home!
The New Eighteenth-Century Style: Rediscovering a French Décor can be purchased here at Amazon.com. Enjoy!

Comments

My favorite style is the bohemian style with vintage, classic finds. I love this post! Great blog too.
Thanks Mina, I love it too!!
katiedid said…
Why don't I have this book in my library?! I must remedy that situation righ away. Thanks for the great images!
Passementerie said…
Wow, this looks like a great book!
Lovely Lashes said…
Hi Lynn, love this too in fact was going to mention it on the blog but you beat me too it.. glad you mentioned it cause it's worth a shout out! Great photo's in the book. Any way just wanted to stop in and say hi! have a great weekend
lorie at soulful adornments :D
Ulla said…
This is one of my favorite books too, as well as its companion book "The New French Decor"!!! Love your metal dressers, did they sell after you posted this? Fabulous eye!!!
Hi Ulla, thanks for your post! Yes I've heard such good things about "The New French Decor." I must pick it up! Yes, both dressers sold but then I found another one. I never see them anymore and just LOVE them! take care, Lynn
Lynn,
Needless to say I love your style!
You are right down my alley!
Fabulous!
Ruth Welter said…
Hi Lynn, love your blog, you have beautiful, classic style. I found out about you through Victoria Magazine.
Kathy said…
This is my #1 ALL TIME favorite book. Seriously...I buy it buy the dozens (plural, as in 4 or 5 dozens!). It's my favorite gift for clients. I could sit and study every page, every vignette, every wording for hours....

Popular Posts